Saturday, February 19, 2011

the special cart

Tonight I had to run to Kroger for a couple of items I needed for tomorrow that I had forgotten about. I grabbed the cart that was sitting conveniently at arms reach and ran into the store.

I should have known. There's always a reason that one lone cart sits at arms reach so conveniently. It was a special cart. You know, the ones that have a jacked up wheel - and no matter how hard or fast you push it through the store it wants you to go left.

Thankfully I only needed 2 items, and I was by myself. But you know what I mean. You've gotten out of the car, hauled your kid, or even kids, up to the store, diaper bag, purse, grocery list in tow, strapped the little monster in once you've finally found a cart that actually has a safety belt. You feel like you've completed an Olympic decathalon and you victoriously push your way into the store only to find out...

you've picked the special cart.

Happens to me all the time. In fact, it can easily ruin my days grocery shopping trip, which I find utterly unenjoyable in the first place. My husband enjoys making fun of my hatred of the the experience. I've tried to be have a better outlook on it. I've tried to look at the fact that Bella taking the grocery list out of my hand and tearing it in half is only her expression of desire to split up the responsibility of shopping. I've reasoned out that when she pulls things off of the shelves and throws them in the cart she's merely trying to free up my hands to only have to push the cart. I have even concluded that when she turns around and takes things out of the cart and and throws them on the ground, she's just going for quality assurance and getting rid of the items that are not up to par.

But the cart, with the special wheel. That's one I can't get past. No matter how you look at it. There is no way to put a positive spin on a grocery cart that has a mind of it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment